There are more than 125 Pioneer head units models, currently available in the market. Due to large number of model available its get hard to select the best option for your car.
To fix this issue, we made this guide.
In this guide, we have included main three types –
- Double Din Touchscreen
- Single Din Touchscreen
- Single Din without touchscreen
We spend five weeks testing 8 of the best Pioneer car stereos available in 2023.
We’ll share which model is best for you and your car, features, pros and cons. So, if you’re looking to buy a new Pioneer car stereo, be sure to read this blog post!
Top 7 Best Pioneer Car Stereos – Reviews
- Best Touchscreen Stereo – Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX
- Best Single Din Stereo – Pioneer SPH-10BT
- Best DVD Touchscreen Head Unit – Pioneer AVH-2500NEX
- Best Single Din Touchscreen Head Unit – Pioneer AVH-3400NEX
- Another Great Option under $500 – Pioneer DMH-1500NEX
- Best GPS Navigation Head Unit – Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX
- Cheapest Touchscreen Head Unit – Pioneer DMH 220EX
Here we have reviewed our top 8 picks with pros and cons!
Best Touchscreen Stereo – Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX
This is a great car stereo for you if you are looking for a 7-inch responsive touchscreen display.
It offer great audio quality due to its high power built-in amplifier, 13-band equalizer, Crossover, Bass Boost, 24 bit DA Converter .
Additionally, it is easy to install due to its shallow chassis design.
- 7-inch Capacitive Touchscreen display
- Home Screen Customization, Automatic Dimmer with vehicle illumination.
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto works great with all phones.
- Dual Bluetooth Connection for connecting two phones in one time
- Simple and easy to use interface.
- Support all types of audio files like FLAC, Hi-Res, MP3 and more.
Both the Wireless Carplay and Android auto-connect quickly and work flawlessly in this head unit.
It comes with a 7-Inch responsive touch screen display. The display is clear, sharp, and comes with numerous customizable options available than any other stereo.
The display brightness is automatically adjusted for day and night. When the headlight is turned on the brightness of the display auto-decreases which helps to avoid unnecessary light on your face.
Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX lets you stream music from Pandora or Spotify and allows Hands free-calling wirelessly or via directly connecting your phone with the receiver.
You use GPS Navigation through Carplay with many apps like Apple Maps, Google Maps, or via Waze but it needs an internet connection or Wi-Fi.
In the box of this radio, you will get a full installation kit which includes high-quality mic that helps to use Siri Eyes Free and Google assistant, wiring harness, USB-C to USB-A adapter.
- Model: Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX
- 7” Capacitive Touchscreen Display
- 800 x 480 WVGA Resolution
- Customizable Display Buttons
- Support Auto EQ and Time Alignment
- Built-in Bluetooth with Secure Simple Pairing
- 6 Channel Preamp RCA Outputs(4 volt)
- Input: 2 Rear USB, 2 Rear AUX, A/V or 2nd Camera
- Dual Backup Camera Connection
- Support up to 192 kHz/24-bit WAV and FLAC
- Other Formats: AAC, DSD Audio Playback (Hi-Res)
- MP3, WMA, .avi, mpg, mpeg, divx , mp4, m4v
- Compatible with SiriusXM Satellite Radio, Steering Wheel Control, iDataLink Maestro
- Compatible with GPS Antenna, external AMP and Headrest monitors
Best Single Din Stereo – Pioneer SPH-10BT
It is a great Stereo for those who don’t want a touchscreen but still want to upgrade their factory radio for latest features like Bluetooth for hands free calling and wireless music streaming, equalizer for audio customization and built-in phone holder.
- Easy to connect and Simple UI
- Great Audio and Call Quality
- Multiple Buttons are available such as BT, message, menu, music which are quite useful while driving.
- A lot of features available to customize the audio styles
- Available at an affordable price
- There is no Backup Camera input however, you can use a wireless backup camera that can be connected easily to your phone and place it above the stereo with its built-in holder.
- The USB input is not placed well as it is tough to connect the cable to the USB port
- The built-in faceplate might not detach easily
This head unit is specially designed for single din dashboard, but the best thing about this radio, is its smart sync feature which allows you to connect your phone with the receiver in which you can use all the features like Bluetooth, Navigation, listening radio, podcasts all can be done directly connecting the phone to radio via smart sync app.
There are two ways to connect the phone with the receiver, wirelessly through smart syncs or via USB cable. However, with USB the audio quality improves quite a lot.
You can directly use all the features of this radio even without connecting to your phone. Multiple buttons have been given in this head unit where you change the menu, play music, change volume, power button, Bluetooth calling buttons, Voice recognition button, and message buttons.
To use Navigation in this unit, you need to connect your phone with stereo via smart sync app which you can download from AppStore or play store.
With the built-in navigation Icon, you can use the navigation system. You just need to click the navigation icon then a preset navigation app loads quickly.
In the box of SPH-10BT, you will get a full installation kit which includes a wiring harness, microphone with connector, screws, faceplate, tape, trim ring, warranty card installation, and a quick start guide.
- Model: SPH-10BT
- Single Din with Smart Phone integration
- Built-in Bluetooth feature with BT Button
- 10 Level Brightness Control
- Customizable Display with thousands option
- 13 Band Equalizer which can be extended up to 31 bands through smart sync app
- Built-in Alexa and iPhone Control
- Built-in Backup Camera sensors
- Support Android Music
- Built-in tuner with 18 FM and 6 AM
- Support high-resolution files like FLAC
- Support multiple formats like MP3, WAV, WMA, AAC
- 24 Bit DA Convert with 200 watts power peak
- Four-Channel Preamp Output
Best DVD Touchscreen Head Unit – Pioneer AVH-2500NEX
This is another great option in which you will get a a 6.9-inch touchscreen head unit, CD/DVD Player, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, Bluetooth for wireless calls and music streaming, an amplifier with 200 watts of power output, customizable display colors, 13 band graphic EQ and 7 preset EQ curves.
Most customers are satisfied with the display quality and audio clarity of this head unit. However, there is no wireless CarPlay and the mirror link does not work properly.
- The display quality is good also, you can decrease or increase the brightness of the screen
- Built-in CD/DVD support high-resolution files
- Clear Audio Quality
- Bluetooth works flawlessly and has a pretty strong connection
- No wireless CarPlay
- The mirror link does not work properly
The key feature of this stereo is the built-in Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
Wireless Calling and wireless music streaming are also possible due to built-in Bluetooth features which allow you to connect two devices at a time and take every time to connect.
The audio is clear and loud due to its built-in amplifier which has a power output of 200 watts. The built-in equalizer is also given in this head unit which helps to enjoy various audio tracks. You can even play high-resolution audio files like FLAC in this unit.
The Pioneer AVH-2500NEX is compatible with all other car accessories such as a Backup Camera, Sirius XM, Steering wheel control (SWC), iDatalink Maestro, and more.
In this double din stereo box, you will get a wiring harness, USB Cable, a good quality microphone, screws, installation guide, warranty card, and some other basic things.
- Display Size: 6.8” VGA with CD/DVD Player
- Customizable display with 5 Display Color/112 key Color
- 13 Band Graphic EQ
- 7 Preset EQ Curves
- Built-in HD Radio tuner
- Power Peak: 4 x 50 watts
- RMS: 4 x 14 watts
- Rear USB/Aux input
- Backup Camera input
- 6 Channel Preamp Output
Best Single Din Touchscreen Head Unit – Pioneer AVH-3400NEX
If you car does not support double-DIN size stereo but you still want a great looking touchscreen stereo then this is one of the best option available on the market.
It offers all features like Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Bluetooth, and 200 watts built-in Equalizer and more.
- Impressive design and fits easily in any type of dashboard
- Great audio quality
- Support direct control for all iPhone and Android devices
- A Full installation kit is given in the box of this unit.
- The flip-out display extends over 4” which might blocks the buttons available at the top of the stereo
This head unit is best for those people whose car has a single din dashboard. It comes with a motorized 7” display giving the same look as the double din stereos.
Pioneer AVH-3400NEX is easy to operate and comes with a large volume knob and good quality buttons available at the bottom of the display.
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are available on this radio but you need to connect your phone with the receiver through a USB cable to use the CarPlay or Android Auto feature. Pandora and Spotify work wireless with which you can enjoy high-quality music which can be compatible with iPhone as well as Android.
This head unit can be installed in any type of car, also the installation is not complicated, however, it was recommended to install this head unit by a technician.
- Model: AVH-3400NEX
- Display: 7” Motorized Flip Out
- CD/DVD Player built-in
- Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto
- Built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling
- Support high-resolution FLAC files
- Support SiriusXM Satellite Radio
- USB input, Backup Camera input
- 6 Channel Preamp Output
Related Post – Best Single Din Touchscreen Head Units
Another Great Option under $500 – Pioneer DMH-1500NEX
If you have money and are willing to spend it on a head unit that will meet your needs then you need to look at the new DMH-1500NEX.
Pioneer DMH-1500NEX comes with a 7” LCD touch screen that is capacitive which means you don’t need to apply pressure on the screen to change the menu or anything on this unit.
You can also enjoy navigation provided by Google Maps with voice commands leveraging Google Assistant technology on your smartphone!
You can play many audio files in this double din such as MP3, WMA, AAC, and FLAC which has a range of 192kHz or 24-bit with auto equalizer mode.
A lot of people have appreciated this head unit for its display quality, crystal clear audio, and advanced features like Apple CarPlay. The only thing this head unit lacks is the wireless Carplay and a CD/DVD player. Besides this, We definitely recommend it!
In the box of Pioneer DMH-1500NEX, you will get a Double din receiver, wiring harness for the installation, high-quality mic, 58” USB Cable, screws, warranty, and installation guide
- Big 7inch touchscreen display
- Built-in 13 Band adjustable graphic equalizer
- Power Peak: 200 Watts
- RMS: 4 x 14 Watts
- Dual Bluetooth Connection for hands-free calling and wireless music streaming
- 6 Channel preamp output for video and audio
- Built-in Radio having 18 FM and 6 AM channels
- Rear USB, AUX, HDMI, and Backup Camera input
- Subwoofer Control Option
- Direct USB Control for iOS and Android devices
- Warranty: 12 Months included
- Responsive and large 7inch touchscreen with useful volume and menu buttons present at bottom of the display
- Clear and loud audio quality
- Hands-free Calling works great, thanks to its good quality mic which is given with this head unit
- Strong Bluetooth Connection
- Wireless music streaming via Spotify and Pandora
- No Built-in CD/DVD Player
- No Wireless CarPlay
- No Built-in HD Radio
Best GPS Navigation Head Unit – Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX
This Double Din Stereo is undoubtedly the most expensive head unit compared to any other Pioneer radio. The main reason is the Built-in GPS Navigation which includes 12.4 million points of interest and Wireless CarPlay Features which most others don’t provide.
The display size of this unit is 6.95 inch which is capacitive and better than the AVIC-W8400NEX, in which you can use the multi-touch feature which allows you to zoom maps and many other apps.
You can change the wallpaper of the home screen to set any picture you want. With its built-in CD/DVD player you can play video at a good quality.
You can directly connect your iPhone or Android to play Videos or music. Other than that there is a wireless option so that you can play videos wirelessly through WebLink which requires Wi-Fi.
The Pioneer’s built-in navigation feature contains many other features like speed limit, compass, altitude, showing freeways, headings, and real-time traffic reports.
- Model: Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX
- 7-inch Capacitive Touchscreen
- Built-in CD/DVD Player
- Built-in Pioneer’s GPS Navigation
- Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and HD Radio
- Power Peak (4 x 14 | RMS: 4 x 50) Watts
- 13 Band Graphic Equalizer with Auto EQ
- Wireless CarPlay and Wireless Android Auto
- High Res- FLAC Supported
- Compatible with Backup Camera
- Input: 1 HDMI REAR, 2 USB REAR , iDatalink Maestro, SiriusXM
- Six Channels preamp Output for Subwoofers
- Capacitive Touchscreen for the multi-touch
- The built-in offline Navigation system
- Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto
- Simple interface and easy to use
- Multiple sources to play video and audio such as CD/DVD player, Aux, USB, SD Card even wirelessly via Wi-Fi through Mirror Link
- Anti-theft password protection
- Super Expensive, however, we have listed its best budget alternative at the end of the list
- Installation takes time
- No Volume Knob
Cheapest Touchscreen Head Unit – Pioneer DMH 220EX
Quick Review: This is probably Pioneer’s cheapest double din head unit which you can buy for under 250 dollars.
This double din stereo comes with a 6.2-inch clear resistive display which is not too big compared to other models of the pioneer.
There are limited options to play videos in the unit such as via USB, AUX, or through an SD card. You can also connect a backup camera with this radio but it isn’t included in this unit.
The audio and video quality is the same as the other unit of Pioneer, and you can also play video directly connecting your phone with the receiver.
- Model: Pioneer DMH220EX
- Display Size: 6.2-inch WVGA Touchscreen
- Power Output: 200 Watts max.
- Built-in Bluetooth
- Direct USB Control for iPhone
- Pandora and Spotify Control
- Compatible with both iOS and android
- 4 Channel preamp output
- Many formats are supported such as MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, MP4, MPEG, and more.
- USB, Aux, and Backup Camera input
- 12 Months Warranty included
- Available at the lowest price compared to other double din radios
- Crispy and Clear Sound Quality
- The installation is quite simple
- Customizable color, theme, and background
- Support Radio, Aux, USB, and Bluetooth
- Limited Features
- No CarPlay or Android Auto
Which is the best Pioneer touchscreen stereo?
In our opinion, the Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX is currently the latest and the best head unit in 2023. It has Wireless Apple CarPlay, Bluetooth connectivity, HD Radio, SiriusXM compatibility, and Pandora integration.
What is the difference between RMS and Power Peak?
RMS stands for Root Mean Square and is a way of representing the average power of a signal. Power peak, on the other hand, is the maximum power of a signal. The main difference between these two measures is that RMS takes into account all parts of the signal while power peak only looks at the loudest part of the signal.
What is the difference between DMH and AVH?
The AVH head units support Compact Discs and DVDs, they also support playback of audio discs such as CD music. DMH’s (Digital Media Receiver) doesn’t support CD/DVD playback and only supports MP3 format for audio recording.
Which is better single DIN or double DIN?
Double din units are by 4 by 8 inches while single din units are 2 by 8 inches, which is why double din units take up more space on your dashboard.
In terms of audio quality, both are the same. When it comes to features, double din always wins.
For me, it came down to aesthetics and less visibility with a double din unit.
Is Pioneer a good stereo system?
Pioneer is one the most reliable manufacturer in the world of car audio. Pioneer has a long history of developing fine audio equipment because, after all, their founder loved music and wanted to share it with as many people as possible.